[afnog] Cisco 1841 ISR problem

Yasini Kilima ykilima at tra.go.tz
Tue Oct 11 08:56:50 UTC 2011

To be honest I got this solution from a configuration file of my Service provider whom we almost ate each other arguing as to why it was not possible to get layer 3 connection on his layer 2 link that he provided although he was able to see both my MAC addresses of my routers on either ends.

He demanded to get my configuration file I gave him he was not able to see any problem in my configuration and he only suspected that my router was not O.K, I told him that my router was fine since it was doing fine on other links. Then he brought his router and everything was fine.

I was very surprised to see this and I wanted to see the configuration file. Actually the difference in my file and his was only this keyword. I removed his router and edited my route by adding this keyword and surprisingly my router worked and it is still working up to now.

One day I tried to remove that keyword same problem repeated and I returned it.

I googled this and got the same things you have said here of FIB/RIB and I assumed perhaps that the link was fluctuating up and down perhaps so fast that the router can sense while the packet loss cannot be felt significantly.

That is why I have said let the fellow try and see if it works.
People say 'IF there is no workable solution to a problem then try any option you hear provided it won't compromise your aim".

Truly my case was not related to NAT issues but it smells pretty similar (Routing).

Yasini.