[afnog] Cisco 1841 ISR problem

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Oct 11 08:26:02 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, October 11, 2011 04:21:25 PM Yasini Kilima
wrote:

> Let me give my contribution
>
> Try adding a keyword (permanent) at your default route
> like: I believe your Cisco IOS will support adding this
> keyword at your route.
>
> ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 FastEthernet0/0 permanent
>
> If it works I will tell you what it does and why it is
> needed and the situation you may be facing.
>
> I had a similar problem but to me it was not towards the
> Internet and I solved by just adding this small keyword.

Yasini, I'm curious why you think this keyword will help.
For all intents and purposes, the 'permanent' keyword
ensures the router doesn't delete the route from the RIB/FIB
in case the exit interface were to go down.

Interesting how it solves the NAT issue for the OP. I'd be
keen to hear your experiences.

Cheers,

Mark.