[afnog] Need help on Disaster Recovery Site Setup

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Oct 6 15:22:56 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 06, 2011 10:57:28 PM Kondie Masiye
wrote:

> I don't know about where you are,...

Malaysia... :-)

> but where I am, we
> often find that we cannot offer a customer a l2vpn
> service because the customers seem not to understand the
> concept very well.

Customers don't need to understand the details about l2vpn.
Functionally, it's not different from purchasing a classic
leased line from their friendly telco.

You don't often hear customers asking their telco's how
their network is strung together for them to get their
leased line up. Yes, some customers will be interested. Most
won't.

> And because of this, we have major
> issues with resolving WAN connectivity problems with the
> customers when they occur with l2vpns. So we prefer to
> just offer l3vpns.

If you're talking about OAM issues, there are good open
standard solutions available for l2vpn's, inherent in vendor
solutions, e.g., Cisco, Juniper, e.t.c. There's no reason
for you to operate the network blindly.

Mark.