[afnog] Need help on Disaster Recovery Site Setup

Kondie Masiye kondie at gmail.com
Thu Oct 6 14:57:28 UTC 2011

On 6 October 2011 10:14, Mark Tinka <mtinka at globaltransit.net> wrote:
> On Thursday, October 06, 2011 03:02:02 PM Siwangu Mgata
> wrote:
>
>> A plus on l2 VPN as this creates a virtual point to point
>> between the two sites.
>>
>> Unfortunately, in Tanzania, we have few/one l2 end to end
>> VPN providers and clients are forced to create tunnels
>> over l3 VPN (IP VPN). I believe the DR is in the same
>> city as Main site and fibre leasing with l2 VPN is
>> possible.
>
> Nowadays, it's just about safe to assume that if a provider
> can offer an l3vpn service, they can also offer an l2vpn
> service.
>
> Most times that ISP's won't consider doing so is because of
> commercial reasons, not technical ones, e.g.:
>
>        o There is no understanding of l2vpn from a
>          product/marketing perspective. Many times, some
>          product/marketing teams don't want to sell what
>          they don't understand.

I don't know about where you are, but where I am, we often find that
we cannot offer a customer a l2vpn service because the customers seem
not to understand the concept very well. And because of this, we have
major issues with resolving WAN connectivity problems with the
customers when they occur with l2vpns. So we prefer to just offer
l3vpns.

Regards,

Kondie