[afnog] Need help on Disaster Recovery Site Setup

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Oct 6 08:14:06 UTC 2011

On Thursday, October 06, 2011 03:02:02 PM Siwangu Mgata
wrote:

> A plus on l2 VPN as this creates a virtual point to point
> between the two sites.
>
> Unfortunately, in Tanzania, we have few/one l2 end to end
> VPN providers and clients are forced to create tunnels
> over l3 VPN (IP VPN). I believe the DR is in the same
> city as Main site and fibre leasing with l2 VPN is
> possible.

Nowadays, it's just about safe to assume that if a provider
can offer an l3vpn service, they can also offer an l2vpn
service.

Most times that ISP's won't consider doing so is because of
commercial reasons, not technical ones, e.g.:

	o They want to make extra cash from Managed servics,
	  which make most sense in l3vpn scenarios.

	o l2vpn's are cheaper to operate, which means
	  revenues can be eroded. No one like eroded
	  revenues.

	o There is no understanding of l2vpn from a
	  product/marketing perspective. Many times, some
	  product/marketing teams don't want to sell what
	  they don't understand.

Cheers,

Mark.