[afnog] Need help on Disaster Recovery Site Setup

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Tue Oct 4 07:18:39 UTC 2011

On Tuesday, October 04, 2011 12:39:34 PM Yasini Kilima
wrote:

> The scenario is not an issue to design but the challenge
> is how should I configure the failover or load balancing
> for the sites that are distant and connected by MPLS
> Layer 3 links? I have 4 WAN service providers and it is
> required all should be involved as our regional sites
> are connected on either or two of the four where
> multihoming is used. I have Cisco routers throughout. I
> have googled but didn't find any useful information.

Typically, you're going to consider:

	a) One data centre handles all traffic. Other data
	   centre comes online if the main data centre dies.

	b) Both data centres handle all traffic, load
	   sharing as equally as possible.

There are two paradigms in which you can solve this problem
- at the Network level and at the Application level.

At the Network level tends to work if your budget and
requirements are simple, using basic IP routing to attain
your goal.

Application level solutions tend to be more granular, simple
or complex. Solutions range from open source (as some have
mentioned on this list) to commercial options, not
discounting what role virtualization can play here. Things
can be as simple as DNS, or as complex as geographically-
aware site load balancers.

I'd defer to others on the application side of things, as my
thoughts would be centred more around solving the problem at
the routing level (I'm biased, hehe), which may not
necessarily be what you're looking for :-).

Mark.