[afnog] Need help on Disaster Recovery Site Setup

Bernard Wanyama bwanyama at syntechug.com
Wed Oct 5 13:39:51 UTC 2011

Hi Yasini,

>From your mail, I think you are looking at network-level disaster recovery.
You can start by clarifying your requirements and then developing a
design that meets your requirements.
>From there, implementation and then operation follows.

A simple plan & design comes to mind:

Planning:
- Choose a LIVE SITE and a DR SITE
- Size the traffic, interfaces and growth requirements so that you can
deploy the correct equipment model for core routers
- Confirm that ALL ISPs can deliver a high-capacity trunk link to the
LIVE SITE and DR SITE
- WAN service preferred to be Layer 3 VPN (MPLS)

Design:
- LIVE SITE - Core router with 4 trunk links to WAN providers and 2
point-to-point links to DR SITE
- DR SITE - Core router with 4 trunk links to WAN providers and 2
point-to-point links to LIVE SITE
- BGP routing with WAN service providers
- BGP and OSPF (or IS-IS) in the core between LIVE and DR SITEs across
the 2 point-to-point links

Improvements & suggestions:
- Four WAN providers can work very well technically, but from an
operations and management view, 2 are better.
- Fiber access for the core sites will make life easier
- BGP and dynamic routing in general with the WAN providers will also
make life much easier.
- If you are able to get high speed fibers (or even dark fiber)
between the core sites, then you can leverage application-level DR
technologies like Vmware Vmotion, etc

I hope the above helps.

Kind regards,
Bernard