[afnog] BGP Redondancy Test

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Thu Oct 14 00:58:56 UTC 2010

On Thursday, October 14, 2010 04:25:28 am Regardt van de
Vyver wrote:

> While some would strangle me for recommending this...

Yes, some of us would :-)...

> the
> following works reasonably well:
> Lets say you have a /21 of total space
> Announce the full /21 out to both ISPs
> Announce a set of /24's out each of the ISPs to balance
> inbound traffic
>
> If either link fails the generic /21 will keep traffic
> flowing.

De-aggregation really isn't such a good idea. If the OP
really has to de-aggregate in order to traffic engineer, let
him, at the very worst, split the /21 into 2x /20's. /24's
are eating up half of the DFZ's routing and forwarding
tables. Adding more won't help the situation.

But before splitting up the allocation, let the OP toy with
prepending, and also find out whether his upstreams supports
BGP communities that can help influence how traffic returns
to his network on at least one of the links.

Avoid de-aggregating as much as possible. Avoid de-
aggregating to multiple /24's, "EVER", when possible.

Cheers,

Mark.