[afnog] BGP Redondancy Test

Regardt van de Vyver regardt at neology.co.za
Wed Oct 13 20:25:28 UTC 2010

Hi Christian,

Your design is typical of many ISPs trying to get some network resilience.
In your case getting failover/resilience is the easy part. The more
complicated portion is going to be to manage the inbound traffic (ie which
link you prefer the traffic coming in on) - especially if the links have
different capacities.

While some would strangle me for recommending this the following works
reasonably well:
Lets say you have a /21 of total space
Announce the full /21 out to both ISPs
Announce a set of /24's out each of the ISPs to balance inbound traffic

If either link fails the generic /21 will keep traffic flowing.

Hope you were not looking for much more detail?

If you have ongoing hassles with decent inbound traffic management - contact
me off-list - we have some bits that can assist ;-)

Regardt