[afnog] Routing Issue - Please Help

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Thu Jul 29 19:15:26 UTC 2010

--- auwudia at swifttalk.net wrote:
From: "Austin Uwudia" <auwudia at swifttalk.net>

We recent advertise a /23 subnet of our block with our provider through BGP. The process of BGP has been concluded and the IP subnet is reachable from the internet. However, I just realized that the IP address is working because of the existing NAT rule on the Mikrotik router.

I have as follows:

WANT interface = 82.128.x.x
LAN interface = 204.16.x.x/26 (existing NATed subnet)
LAN interface = 41.76.x.x/23 (the newly advertised subnet)

I have 41.76.x.x on my laptop and I can reach internet and be reached from internet. However, when I check www.whatismyip.com, it shows my IP as the WAN interface IP of the router i.e. 82.128.x.x.

Can anyone kindly help me out on how to make this subnet fully routed? I am really in a dire strait.

I'm not sure I follow completely, so please excuse me if I accidentally make a silly comment...  :-)

Is the WAN interface a /30?

What does whatismyip.com show when you have a 204.16.x.x address on your laptop?

I am not sure what you mean by "make this subnet fully routed".  It sounds like it is fully routed ("the IP subnet is reachable from the internet") and is using the WAN IP as the NAT address.  Do you mean to make the /23 a non-NAT'd address?

scott