[afnog] Problems Sending Mail to Yahoo

SM sm at resistor.net
Thu Apr 10 19:18:51 UTC 2008

At 10:40 10-04-2008, Joe Abley wrote:
>The last time I looked, the URLs reported in the 421 messages from
>Yahoo! MTAs didn't work (they redirected to generic support pages); I
>searched NANOG archives to find the right URLs, but even then it
>wasn't obvious which of their various forms I was supposed to be
>filling out.

That has been broken since some time. :-)

Yahoo replies to messages sent through the contact form.  It may take
time to get the problem solved.

>One of the reasons I ran into trouble (I think) was that I had some e-
>mail aliases set up which expanded to lists of people, and some of
>those people had Y! accounts. When spam hit that alias and was
>forwarded, the Y! MTAs apparently assigned some portion of the
>responsibility for the spam to my MTAs, which I guess is somewhat
>reasonable since from the perspective of Yahoo! they probably looked
>like open relays.

If you forward emails, it's better to send out a clean feed as some
providers consider your server as the source of the spam even if the
recipient wants those messages.

>The most recent thing I tried was reconfiguring the MTAs I use to
>submit mail through so that they add DomainKeys headers to my outbound
>mail, and adding the corresponding records to the DNS for the domains
>concerned. This seems to have made things better, for now.

Yahoo asks whether the mail you send is DomainKeys signed.

Regards,
-sm