[afnog] Search for understanding

Randy Bush randy at psg.com
Wed Apr 2 22:31:55 UTC 2008

> 1) How can we ensure that the majority of Internet users are aware of VoIP?

it is not clear to me that this is the way i would phrase the goal.

users do not care about underlying technology; they just want their mtv.

so i might ask, how can we let the users be aware that they can use
their internet-connected computers for voice and video communication?

and then there is the corollary of asking how we, as operators, can best
facilitate the availability of these applications to the users?

the reason i am this pedantic is that, from a user point of view,
probably skype, google talk, ... are more readily visible than what we
operators may think of as voip (asterisk, sip phones, ...).  we need to
make the net work for all of these, and for the ones that have yet to be
invented.

randy