[afnog] UCEPROTECT-Network Level 3, who takes the blame?

John Walubengo jwalu at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 24 12:03:01 UTC 2007

Odour,

I hate to dissapoint you but I did have a problem about
9mths ago with your packets.  The reports from the
MailScanner on our mailserver at kcct.ac.ke kept showing
that there was a lot of spamming coming from  your end.  I
ofcourse imagined that our mail server could be the problem
and we tried to ensure that kcct.ac.ke was not acting as an
open relay.

Even after hardening our mailserver, the MailScanner kept
showing huge amounts of spam from the AccessKenya network.
I emailed the then admin to sort it out and (s)he promised
to look into it but after a week of no change I technically
dropped communication from my server to your server (both
ways recieve and send).  This was necessary because the
Admin at AccessKenya indicated that the problem was NOT
ACCESSKENYA but from their SUBSCRIBERS whose machines were
hosting maleware, robots and whatnots...

Which now begs the question who should take the
responsibility of cleaning up downstream hosts coming into
your network? it looks like UCEPROTECT opted to do exactly
what i did - it may not be right, but it does provide a
quick relief of sorts, with casualties ofcourse.

walu.