[afnog] UCEPROTECT-Network Level 3, who takes the blame?

Bill Woodcock woody at pch.net
Tue Jul 24 15:10:22 UTC 2007

      On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, John Walubengo wrote:
    > it looks like UCEPROTECT opted to do exactly
    > what i did - it may not be right, but it does provide a
    > quick relief of sorts, with casualties ofcourse.

Walu:  Actually, I suspect that you did something more intelligent than
UCEPROTECT is doing...  You blocked all of AccessKenya's networks, which
took out some of their other, non-spamming, customers, but basically
aligned the incentives in the right place.  If AccessKenya had a spam
problem with their customers, it was up to them to fix it.

Now, whether they do or don't isn't really of personal concern to me.
That sort of thing works itself out through exactly the pressures we're
seeing here _as long as everybody acts rationally_, as you you did.

The problem I see here, specifically, is that UCEPROTECT isn't blocking
just the provider with the spamming customers, they're blocking the entire
/16, which contains a lot of _entirely unrelated_ ISPs, in completely
different countries, with no relationship whatsoever with anybody who's
having a spam problem, and no special leverage to get them to fix it, even
if they did know who it was.  This is like pulling a random hostage off
the street, and telling them to stop crime.  It doesn't help the crime
problem, and it causes a problem of its own.

So regardeless of whether AccessKenya has customers who send spam (many
ISPs do, at some point; what's important is whether they clean it up), I'd
say the real problem here is UCEPROTECT not being responsible about who
they're blacklisting.

                                -Bill