[afnog] DNS service

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Mon Jul 16 14:42:58 UTC 2007

Aline Flore Jounewe [ MTNCameroon Infrastructure Planning - MTN House ] (Jounew_A) writes:
> Y'ellow
>
> I would like to run both: authoritative and caching/Recursive to serve
> customers.

	It's not a good idea to mix auth. and recursive for security reasons,
	but it _can_ be done if one absolutely wants to.

> Amont all what you listed here, what would you recommend and why?

	My recommendation:

	OS: Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris - anything will do.

	Software: install NSD or BIND on the authoritative side, tinydns/dnscache
		on the client/recursive side.  Use 2 dedicated machines for each.
		Make sure you limit recursion access to the clients which do belong
		to your network.