[afnog] DNS service

Aline Flore Jounewe [ MTNCameroon Infrastructure Planning - MTN House ] Jounew_A at mtncameroon.net
Mon Jul 16 14:34:37 UTC 2007

Y'ellow

I would like to run both: authoritative and caching/Recursive to serve
customers.

Amont all what you listed here, what would you recommend and why?

Thank you for your inputs

Aline Flore Jounewe
Network Group - Data Architecture
MTN CAMEROON
Douala - Cameroun
Cel: +237 77551072"
Fax: +237 7909040

http://www.mtncameroon.net

Si vous pouvez voir l'invisible,
vous pouvez accomplir l'impossible !
Yvan Castanou

-----Original Message-----
From: Phil Regnauld [mailto:regnauld at x0.dk]
Sent: lundi 16 juillet 2007 15:21
To: Aline Flore Jounewe [ MTNCameroon Infrastructure Planning - MTN
House ]
Cc: afnog at afnog.org
Subject: Re: [afnog] DNS service

(Jounew_A) writes:

> As I am planning to implement a DNS service for ISP, I would like to
> find out from you what are the most reliable and powerful platforms to
> deploy it?
>
> 1.	Unix
> 2.	Linux
> 3.	Microsoft

	UNIX/Linux is the same thing.

	What kind of DNS service ?  Authoritative ? (hosting zones)
	Caching/Recursive (to serve clients) ?  Or both ?

	There are several software candidates to fit your bill,
including
	BIND, NSD, PowerDNS, tinydns depending on your needs.

> Based on your suggestion, would you please provide some motivation?

	Well, running Windows as an OS to serve DNS outside of a
corporate
	environment is considered overkill, and even Microsoft
recommends
	not using MS DNS in this setup.

NOTE: This e-mail message is subject to the MTN Cameroon disclaimer, see http://www.mtncameroon.net/disclaimer.html

NOTE: This e-mail message is subject to the MTN Cameroon disclaimer, see http://www.mtncameroon.net/disclaimer.html