[afnog] NetFlow Statistics Collector

Jeroen Massar jeroen at unfix.org
Thu Jan 18 13:24:39 UTC 2007

Phil Regnauld wrote:
> Jeroen Massar (jeroen) writes:
>>
>> Every tool comes at a different price (some 100K+ US ;) and has
>> different things it can do. As such there is not an easy way to say "get
>> this as it does what you want". If you can tell what exactly you are
>> trying to measure or figure out, then I can probably hint you which apps
>> are most suited for your needs.
>>
>> Most of them are SUSE based, most of them though are also commercial.
>> Check the SWITCH url for quite some non-commercial ones too.
>
> 	Just a note:
>
> 	Unless you know *precisely* what you are looking for, I would suggest
> 	to start with open source tools, to grasp the concepts of netflow,
> 	what it can and cannot do.

Most of those tools unfortunately only plot some graphs and that is it,
not allowing one to take a detailed look at the data or do complex
analysis at all. It all depends on the tool and also what one is looking
for.

> 	Only then does it make sense to buy a product from a vendor who, it
> 	is our experience, knows less than you do about the technology
> 	(we developed netflow analyzers, we should know :)

That depends completely on the vendor of course :)
Which is why one should always first go for a trial and then decide on
it. If the vendor isn't confident enough for a trial, then most likely
they are not confident in the product. Of course one has to specify what
one is looking for and what one expects of a tool, like anything else.

Greets,
 Jeroen