[afnog] Fw: ADVERT: ADMIN ASSISTANT- LINUXCHIX AFRICA
anna at cs.wits.ac.za
Sun Jan 7 16:51:03 UTC 2007
---------- Forwarded Message -----------
From: "Anna" <anna at cs.wits.ac.za>
To: africasource2-l at lists.tacticaltech.org, africasource-l at lists.tacticaltech.org
Sent: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:45:01 +0200
Subject: Fw: ADVERT: ADMIN ASSISTANT- LINUXCHIX AFRICA
LinuxChix Africa (LCA)
LinuxChix Africa seeks to appoint an Administration Assistant.
The Administration Assistant will be based at the LinuxChix Africa offices in
Johannesburg, South Africa. The Admin Assistant shall provide administrative
support for LCA and will report to the Project Co-ordinator. The post holder
will be required to work flexibly, in a rapidly developing and dynamic office
environment and to make a substantive contribution to the growth of LCA.
LinuxChix Africa is an African continental organisation that aims to build
technical GNU/Linux and Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) skills among
African women. We have a presence in over 26 African countries and we are one
of the fastest growing networks. We actively encourage and facilitate the
active participation of African women in FOSS software development projects.
Key areas of responsibility are:
1. Assist the Project Coordinator with the administration of the Office.
2. Assist the Project Coordinator and the Webmaster to manage the online
communication with Council, Board, and the lists (chix and femme).
3. Provide admin assistance in the preparation of meetings and conferences:
booking rooms, preparing refreshments etc.
4. Liaise regularly with the Project Coordinator to ensure that appropriate
paperwork has been distributed for meetings and assist in the follow up of
5. Assist in the co-ordination of all correspondence (including meeting
correspondence) ensuring letters are circulated and replies are received and
tracked in a timely fashion.
6. Manage the petty cash on a daily basis and purchase office items as authorised.
7. Record daily financial transaction on the relevant books as per the
funders specification and consolidate for the Project Coordinators reporting.
8. Any other duties as assigned.
- Degree in Administration and/or Finance.
- Prior admin experience for NGOs an advantage.
- An understanding of women and ICTs issues and a passion for women's
development in ICT and FOSS.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills in English
- Willingness to travel in Africa and occasionally outside the continent, as
- Strong computer and organisational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively with people from
- Ability to work independently but also as a team member (with staff of LCA
office, the Board, Council and the general membership).
The job is offered on a one-year contract.
Interested and qualified candidates who match the profile are invited to
submit their CV and a letter of interest to:
The School of Computer Science
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3
Email: anna at cs.wits.ac.za
Closing Date for applications is 15th January 2007.
Only short-listed candidates will receive a response from LinuxChix Africa.
Although LinuxChix Africa does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender
or creed, preference will be given to a female candidate.
------- End of Forwarded Message -------
More information about the afnog