[afnog] Fw: ADVERT: PROJECT COORDINATOR - LINUXCHIX AFRICA
anna at cs.wits.ac.za
Sun Jan 7 16:50:47 UTC 2007
---------- Forwarded Message -----------
From: "Anna" <anna at cs.wits.ac.za>
To: africasource2-l at lists.tacticaltech.org, africasource-l at lists.tacticaltech.org
Sent: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:44:17 +0200
Subject: Fw: ADVERT: PROJECT COORDINATOR - LINUXCHIX AFRICA
LinuxChix Africa (LCA)
LinuxChix Africa seeks to appoint a Project Coordinator.
The Project Coordinator will be based at the LinuxChix Africa offices in
Johannesburg, South Africa. This position includes both administrative
responsibilities and programme management responsibilities, and an opportunity
to make a substantive contribution to the growth of LCA.
LinuxChix Africa is an African continental organisation that aims to build
technical GNU/Linux and Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) skills among
African women. We have a presence in over 26 African countries and we are one
of the fastest growing networks. We actively encourage and facilitate the
active participation of African women in FOSS software development projects.
Key areas of responsibility are:
1. Coordinate the following projects:
- Capacity Development for LCA in Open Source Software, Production of Training
Kits and LCA e-Learning initiatives.
- Advocacy and Policy recommendations.
- Awareness, Publicity and Software Freedom Day celebration planning and
- Communications and Newsletters.
- Marketing and Public Relations Strategies.
- Conference Planning and Logistics
- Policies and Governance coordination.
- Develop strategic partnerships with key regional, continental and local
2. Coordinate LCA website enhancements, lists and newsletters. Manage the
online communication with Council, Board, and the membership lists (chix and
3.Convene key meetings with core regional and continental educational
institutions and related organizations.
4. Manage the project budget according the objectives and plans agreed to with
5. Report to the Board meetings and prepare reports as requested by the Board,
Council and Funders.
6. Manage Office Staff
7. Any other duties as assigned.
- Postgraduate qualification. A postgraduate qualification in ICT will be an
- Experience in women and ICTs issues and a passion for women's development in
ICT and FOSS
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills in English
- Demonstrated ability to carry out independent research and project
- Willingness to travel in Africa and occasionally outside the continent, as
- Strong computer and organisational skills, attention to detail, ability to
prioritize, and resourcefulness in problem-solving
- Ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively with people from
- Ability to work independently but also as a team member (with staff of LCA,
the Board, Council and the general membership).
The job is offered on a one-year contract.
Interested and qualified candidates who match the profile are invited to
submit their CV and a letter of interest to:
The School of Computer Science
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3
Email: anna at cs.wits.ac.za
Closing Date for applications is 10th January 2007.
Only short-listed candidates will receive a response from LinuxChix Africa.
Althouhg LinuxChix Africa does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender
or creed, preference will be given to a female candidate.
------- End of Forwarded Message -------
More information about the afnog