[afnog] Fw: ADVERT: WEBMASTER- LINUXCHIX AFRICA
anna at cs.wits.ac.za
Sun Jan 7 16:51:19 UTC 2007
---------- Forwarded Message -----------
From: "Anna" <anna at cs.wits.ac.za>
To: africasource2-l at lists.tacticaltech.org, africasource-l at lists.tacticaltech.org
Sent: Sun, 7 Jan 2007 18:45:40 +0200
Subject: Fw: ADVERT: WEBMASTER- LINUXCHIX AFRICA
LinuxChix Africa (LCA)
LinuxChix Africa seeks to appoint a Webmaster.
The Webmaster can be based anywhere in Africa subject to conditions. The
Webmaster will report to the Project Coordinator and shall provide technical
and administrative assistance for the LCA's Website. The post holder will be
required to work flexibly in a rapidly developing and dynamic environment and
to make a substantive contribution to the growth of LCA.
LinuxChix Africa is an African continental organisation that aims to build
technical GNU/Linux and Free and Open Source Software (FOSS) skills among
African women. We have a presence in over 26 African countries and we are one
of the fastest growing networks. We actively encourage and facilitate the
active participation of African women in FOSS software development projects.
Key areas of responsibility are:
1. Keeping the website up-to-date:
* Ensuring that the site's authorized users are able to post content (blogs,
forums, news, stories,pages) on to the site.
* Posting content: News, Events, Press Releases etc
2. Maintaining & managing the site:
* Upgrading the site as required
* Reviewing access logs
* Adding new innovative features from time to time
* Repairing Dead Links
3. Securing & Protecting the site:
Server side programming used for form processing, database management, search
and display functions, shopping carts etc require regular updating to
implement fixes for security holes discovered from time to time.
4. Re-structuring site contents as per the requirements.
5. Other maintenance activities include:
* Mailing list moderation and management
* LinuxChix Africa Mail review and action
6. Integrating e-learning management and online study materials for the site.
7. Any other duties as assigned.
- Degree or relevant qualification in IT or Computer Science.
- Prior experience as a Webmaster.
- Good knowledge of Linux, PHP, MySQL, and Apache.
- Good knowledge of server side scripting.
- Good troubleshooting skills and a technical all rounder.
- A passion for women's development in ICT and FOSS.
- Excellent written and oral presentation skills in English. Knowledge of
French and Portugese an advantage.
- Willingness to travel in Africa and occasionally outside the continent, as
- Ability to listen and communicate clearly and effectively with people from
- Ability to work independently but also as a team member (with staff of LCA
office, the Board, Council and the general membership).
The job is offered on a one-year contract.
Interested and qualified candidates who match the profile are invited to
submit their CV and a letter of interest to:
The School of Computer Science
University of the Witwatersrand
Private Bag 3
Email: anna at cs.wits.ac.za
Closing Date for applications is 15th January 2007.
Only short-listed candidates will receive a response from LinuxChix Africa.
Although LinuxChix Africa does not discriminate on the basis of race, gender
or creed, preference will be given to a female candidate.
------- End of Forwarded Message -------
More information about the afnog