[afnog] IPv6 - some interesting reading

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Fri Aug 3 09:56:13 UTC 2007

Adiel A. Akplogan (adiel) writes:
>  Here is another paper on the IPv4 exhaustion topic published
>  by AfriNIC in April:
>
>  http://www.afrinic.net/news/ipv4_exhaustion.htm

	What I find most interesting here is that everyone who worked
	on IPv6 was so hyped about it being so cool, that "no one"
	(Internet gods, please shoot me if I am wrong :) really thought
	hard about the transition itself...  Or the fact that IPv4 space
	would be needed even more during the transition.  Kind of like
	engineering the new super fast train, and finding out it will
	need to be placed on top of old flatbed rail transports,
	and we'll need lots of those, but the combined weight will be
	too much for the rails :)

>  Finally a policy proposal to try to deal with the remaining
>  IPv4 pool was posted on AfriNIC RPD list for discussion. See:
>
>  http://www.afrinic.net/docs/policies/afpol-v4gp200707.htm

	Haven't read it yet, but I would encourage people to start
	thinking about how they'll actually deploy *and* migrate
	from v4 to v6.