[afnog] IPv6 - some interesting reading

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Aug 3 11:52:49 UTC 2007

On Friday 03 August 2007 17:56, Phil Regnauld wrote:

> 	Haven't read it yet, but I would encourage people to start
> 	thinking about how they'll actually deploy *and* migrate
> 	from v4 to v6.

Indeed.

The workshops CiscoPhil, Jordi and all are giving at the
AfriNIC (and other) meetings help to show how
not-so-difficult it is, technically, to dual-stack your
network with v4 and v6.

In the most extreme of cases, if dual-stacking is not an
option, v6-in-v4 tunnels and 6PE are alternatives for the
core, although I wouldn't recommend them if one could avoid
them (might add more complexity than is actually necessary).

Native/dual-stack is always best.

The hard parts will be:

a) Convincing upper management that it's actually a good thing
   to have a v6 strategy now, rather than later - especially
   if funding the strategy is necessary.

b) Ensuring all services (customers and NOC) are fully
   v6-enabled. Randy's preso clearly shows ALG's and NAT
   will be necessary for applications that will not support
   v6 (for whatever reason). Whether this is good in the
   initial stages of the transition, or not, is yet to be
   seen.

Cheers,

Mark.