[afnog] Frame Relay Over E1

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Jun 8 11:55:15 EAT 2006

On Thu, Jun 08, 2006 at 08:27:58AM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> What I'd need to test out is several factors, events or
> conditions within the telco's network that isn't frame relay
> enabled that would contribute to sustained or interrupted frame
> relay service, especially if they do not know you are pushing
> frame relay over their network.

The service they provide at layer 1 is channelised E1 - just a stream of
bits.

Whether you decide to encapsulate your data in Cisco HDLC, PPP, Frame Relay,
X25 or MPLS on top of that shouldn't make any difference to the telco.

Indeed, you might not be sending framed data at all - you could send an
uLaw/aLaw voice channel over each of the timeslots (which is the normal way
of using an E1, if you are a PABX)

> But then again, frame relay, being a shared network (the
> so-called "statistical multiplexing"), requires efficient
> bandwidth management techniques - but perhaps that's what makes
> it more affordable to end users.

Just like IP.