[afnog] Apache2-PHP5 Installation Issues

Patrick Okui pokui at psg.com
Mon Jul 31 11:36:48 EAT 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 11:15, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Monday 31 July 2006 09:25, Hervey Allen wrote:
> > A minor issue is if you attempt to update your install from
> > RPM in the future. If the new RPM is built expecting things
> > to have been done a certain way in prior RPMs, then what
> > happens?
>
> The other problem is that most popular Linux distributions
> include update utilities that check remote FTP server for
> updated RPM's - download an update for an RPM that was built
> from source-rpm will overwrite your previous installation, and
> any custom compile-time options you chose.

Not sure this has been mentioned in this thread, but NetBSD's
package system (I believe it's called pkg) is fairly portable
(read: runs on lots of UNIX variants). For those who have used
FreeBSD ports, you have the general idea.

If you decide to use sources to keep your linux system up to date
I'd highly recommend giving it a shot.
--
patrick