[afnog] Apache2-PHP5 Installation Issues

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Mon Jul 31 11:15:52 EAT 2006

On Monday 31 July 2006 09:25, Hervey Allen wrote:

> A minor issue is if you attempt to update your install from
> RPM in the future. If the new RPM is built expecting things
> to have been done a certain way in prior RPMs, then what
> happens?

The other problem is that most popular Linux distributions
include update utilities that check remote FTP server for
updated RPM's - download an update for an RPM that was built
from source-rpm will overwrite your previous installation, and
any custom compile-time options you chose.

The other issue I find interesting (although not a big one), is
that most .spec files require a host of other packages to be
installed to enable a successful build process. This can be
issue if you have disk space concerns, and also increases the
number of (possibly unncessary) packages to update over FTP
connections, which can tax slower, more expensive Internet links
that much more.

Cheers,

Mark.