[afnog] Apache2-PHP5 Installation Issues

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Mon Jul 31 10:25:37 EAT 2006

Noah Sematimba wrote:
> Uhmm
>
> Possibly I missed a post somewhere but wouldn't it be easier to get the source
> rpms, edit the spec file and rebuild the rpm then install?
>
> That way you get all the advantages of building from source without the
> disadvantages associated with maintaining packages installed from source on
> linux.

Yup.

And, it solves your uninstall issues. But, again, not
something your new sysadmin may want to or know how to do.

A minor issue is if you attempt to update your install from
RPM in the future. If the new RPM is built expecting things
to have been done a certain way in prior RPMs, then what
happens?

At least it keeps things interesting.

- Hervey