[afnog] Re : Apache2-PHP5 Installation Issues

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Fri Jul 28 11:04:28 EAT 2006

On Friday 28 July 2006 09:40, Hervey Allen wrote:

> Then, in another terminal window type the command (you need
> to be root):
>
> # tail -f /var/log/httpd/error_log

Yes; in fact, Apache's default error_log file has the capability
of telling you with what modules Apache has started, e.g., SSL,
PHP, e.t.c. It would look something like this:

[notice] Apache/2.2.2 (FreeBSD) mod_ssl/2.2.2 OpenSSL/0.9.7e-p1
DAV/2 PHP/5.1.4 configured -- resuming normal operations

However, don't use that as a major troubleshooting mechanism :).

If you have searched your Apache module library and can't find
libphp5.so, then perhaps your compilation didn't go very well. I
had a few issues of this nature several years back, and it
boiled down to what options I gave at compile-time. I'll say
APXS[2] is important, as well as keeping it simple with
including options you REALLY need.

I suggest installing Apache and MySQL (including their devel and
header files) from RPM off your distribution's CD-ROM/DVD/FTP
server; then trying something simple and basic like this when
compiling PHP from source.

# make clean
# ./configure --with-apxs2 --with-mysql
# make
# make install

Normally, from when I did this, when Apache and MySQL have been
installed from RPM, a source PHP compilation knows where to look
for relevant headers and libraries.

Hope this helps.

PS: I notice in your initial post that you used "--with-apx2=".
    Is this what you used to compile or was this merely part of
    your question to the list, as you are missing an "s" between
    "x" and "2".

Cheers,

Mark.