[afnog] Re : Apache2-PHP5 Installation Issues

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Fri Jul 28 11:27:22 EAT 2006

Mark Tinka wrote:

> # make clean
> # ./configure --with-apxs2 --with-mysql
> # make
> # make install
>

> Normally, from when I did this, when Apache and MySQL have been
> installed from RPM, a source PHP compilation knows where to look
> for relevant headers and libraries.

I thought I'd just make a general observation to the list.
I've had to compile php from source several times in order
to build dynamic sites. The issue with RPM installed apache
and php is that the choices made by the distribution vendor
often are not what you'll need for the code you plan on writing.

While upgrading to PHP 5 is not necessarily something you
want/need to do, the O'Reilly book:

Upgrading to PHP 5
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/upgradephp5/index.html

gives some great hints about how to get php to compile
successfully.

I've done as Mark suggests - installed Apache and MySQL
first from RPM, then compiling php with the options I need.
Figuring out what options you need, however, is non-trivial.

Cheers,
	- Hervey