[afnog] Wi-fi product

Kondwani Masiye kondie at malawi.net
Fri Aug 4 08:39:05 SAST 2006

Dear List,

We are looking into implementing a city-wide wi-fi hotspot (or a bunch
of hotspots). The idea is that so long as one has a computer with wi-fi
capability, one should be able to just log on to our network and start
using, get an IP address, and start using it (just like using dial-up).
We have very hilly terraine in some areas, lots of vegetation, and
building are concrete and burnt bricks.

I am looking for suggestions or experience that people have with any
equipment that can operate nicely in such an environment. I have been
looking at the MikroTik website but I am not sure if this is the best.
We already have wireless coverage using Motorola Canopy and Proxim, but
these require CPE and LOS, which we are trying to avoid in this
instance. Proxim has a wi-fi product called Orinocco but I am not sure
how good it is.

Any suggestions, anecdotes, advice and recommendations are welcome.

Regards,

Kondie Masiye