[afnog] Wi-fi product

Carl aniams aniamss at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 09:37:29 SAST 2006

Hi,

I think concerning the Canopy solution there is the motomesh new generation
equipements on which you can do a full meshed wireless network( ad-hoc being
used for example). Check this link if you wish to know more.
http://www.motorola.com/mesh/

hope it helps.

2006/8/4, Kondwani Masiye <kondie at malawi.net>:

> Dear List,
>
> We are looking into implementing a city-wide wi-fi hotspot (or a bunch
> of hotspots). The idea is that so long as one has a computer with wi-fi
> capability, one should be able to just log on to our network and start
> using, get an IP address, and start using it (just like using dial-up).
> We have very hilly terraine in some areas, lots of vegetation, and
> building are concrete and burnt bricks.
>
> I am looking for suggestions or experience that people have with any
> equipment that can operate nicely in such an environment. I have been
> looking at the MikroTik website but I am not sure if this is the best.
> We already have wireless coverage using Motorola Canopy and Proxim, but
> these require CPE and LOS, which we are trying to avoid in this
> instance. Proxim has a wi-fi product called Orinocco but I am not sure
> how good it is.
>
> Any suggestions, anecdotes, advice and recommendations are welcome.
>
> Regards,
>
> Kondie Masiye
>

> --

ANIAMBOSSOU Carl
network and Telecoms supp
tel: +229 90 04 08 58   +229 97 48 01 33
msn: aniams at hotmail.com