[afnog] High return time on linux server

Yahaya Wara mywarra at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 11:16:16 EAT 2006

hello, All,

I installed Mandrake linux 9.2 on HP Compaq server
with following services running:

1. Named (Bind 9.2.3)
2. Apache2 with two virtual sites, but hope to host
more.
3. Shorewall firewall to filter traffic.(permit only
http, DNS to and from the server and permit icmp from
the server to internet.)

The problem is, if I ping my ISP router the return
time will be fluctuating between 2000 ms to 8000 ms.
But I remove the ethernet cable attached to the
server's public NIC or I issued service network stop
and ping my ISP router on another machine the return
time come down to 500 ms to 700 ms. Please any help ?

Thanks