[afnog] High return time on linux server

Phil Regnauld regnauld at x0.dk
Thu Apr 27 11:39:09 EAT 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 01:16:16AM -0700, Yahaya Wara wrote:
> hello, All,
>
> I installed Mandrake linux 9.2 on HP Compaq server
> with following services running:
>
> The problem is, if I ping my ISP router the return
> time will be fluctuating between 2000 ms to 8000 ms.
> But I remove the ethernet cable attached to the
> server's public NIC or I issued service network stop
> and ping my ISP router on another machine the return
> time come down to 500 ms to 700 ms. Please any help ?

	Maybe you are being flooded or DoS'ed -- can you run
	tcpdump on the external interface ? (on both actually):

	tcpdump -ni eth0

	Take a look at what happens

	and

	tcpdump -ni eth1

	Run this for about 10 seconds each, ctrl-c to stop the program.

	Do you see many packets ?  What does the summary of packets
	(after you type CTRL-C) say (packets seen vs. packets lost).

	Alternatively, look at netstat (man netstat) to see interface
	statistics.

	Phil