[afnog] Mailman configuration glitch

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Oct 28 11:26:50 EAT 2005

On Fri, Oct 28, 2005 at 01:55:49AM +0300, Steven Ntambi wrote:
>    1.    Following the instructions on
>    [1]http://www.exim.org/howto/mailman21.html (which i hope i followed
>    correctly)
>    2.    created the list 'mailman'
>    3.    Added the following to the httpd.conf
>    <VirtualHost XX.X.XXX.XXX>
>            UseCanonicalName On
>            ServerAdmin emailaddress at admin_domainname
>            DocumentRoot /usr/local/mailman/lists/
>            ServerName lists.domainename1
>            ServerAlias www.lists.domainename1
>            ErrorLog /var/log/httpd/lists.domainename1/error_log
>            CustomLog /var/log/httpd/lists.domainename1/access_log common
>            ScriptAlias /mailman "/usr/local/mailman/cgi-bin"
>            Alias /pipermail "/usr/local/mailman/archives/public"
>    </VirtualHost>
>    <Directory "/usr/local/mailman/lists/">
>            Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews
>            AllowOverride None
>            Order allow,deny
>            Allow from all
>        </Directory>
>    And made the DocRoot owned by mailman readable to www (httpd user) ie
>    Docroot has permissions 754

Try 755: rwxr-xr-x

>    I still get a permission denied when attempting to view the site
>    lists.domainname1 !!!! :-/

Also try changing the Options line to

    Options Indexes FollowSymlinks MultiViews Indexes

If that works, then probably you're just missing an index.html or whatever.
You can create one, and make sure mod_dir is loaded and you have a directive
like

DirectoryIndex index.html index.htm

Finally, do you have a

NameVirtualHost XX.X.XXX.XXX