[afnog] Exim 4.52 Installation problem on FreeBSD version 5.4

Emmanuel Antwi Kwarteng kwarteng at ghanatel.com.gh
Thu Oct 13 19:20:22 EAT 2005

Hello Brian,

I have both installations from the ports and using the packages.

> If the operating system is running, then you can be sure it is compatible
> with your HP hardware :-)
>
> You didn't show what you typed *before* make. We need to see everything
> from when you untarred it.
>
> My guess is that you didn't copy src/EDITME to Local/Makefile
I have done that as you can see below

root at smshq902# pwd
/usr/exim/exim-4.52/Local
root at smshq902# ls
Makefile        eximon.conf
root at smshq902#
root at smshq902#

The following attributes are in the Makefile

BIN_DIRECTORY=/usr/exim/bin
CONFIGURE_FILE=/usr/exim/configure
EXIM_USER=exim
SPOOL_DIRECTORY=/var/spool/exim

> The full instructions, which you need to follow step-by-step, are in the
> README file at the top level of the source tarball.
>
> Alternatively, since this is FreeBSD, you can just
>
> (1) bring your ports collection up to date
>
>     # cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup.uk.freebsd.org
> /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
>
> [takes a while the first time you do it, and will soak up some Internet
> bandwidth]
>
> (2) build exim from ports

I also tried it from the ports and I get this error.

root at smshq902#
root at smshq902# pwd
/usr/ports/mail/exim
root at smshq902#
root at smshq902#
root at smshq902# ls
Makefile        files           pkg-descr       pkg-message     work
distinfo        options         pkg-install     pkg-plist
root at smshq902#
root at smshq902#
root at smshq902# make
===>  Building for exim-4.50_1
>>> rebuilt Makefile unchanged

*** Makefile needs rebuilding
*** Please run "make makefile" at top level

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/exim/work/exim-4.50/build-FreeBSD-i386.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/exim/work/exim-4.50.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/mail/exim.
root at smshq902#

>     # cd /usr/ports/mail/exim
>     # make
>     # make install
>     # make clean
>
> You'll then see it with pkg_info just like other packages.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

Regards,

Kwarteng