[afnog] Exim 4.52 Installation problem on FreeBSD version 5.4

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Oct 13 18:30:41 EAT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 02:08:09PM +0000, Emmanuel Antwi Kwarteng wrote:
> I have recently installed freeBSD 5.4 on an HP Proliant DL380 (XEON).
> I am trying to install exim 4.52 on this new freBSD installation but I get
> this error message when I do a "make".

> root at smshq902# make
>

> *** Makefile needs rebuilding
> *** Please run "make makefile" at top level
>
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/exim/exim-4.52/build-FreeBSD-i386.
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop in /usr/exim/exim-4.52.
> root at smshq902#
>
> Could it be the HP not being compatible with freeBSD ?

If the operating system is running, then you can be sure it is compatible
with your HP hardware :-)

You didn't show what you typed *before* make. We need to see everything from
when you untarred it.

My guess is that you didn't copy src/EDITME to Local/Makefile

The full instructions, which you need to follow step-by-step, are in the
README file at the top level of the source tarball.

Alternatively, since this is FreeBSD, you can just

(1) bring your ports collection up to date

    # cvsup -g -L 2 -h cvsup.uk.freebsd.org /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile

[takes a while the first time you do it, and will soak up some Internet
bandwidth]

(2) build exim from ports

    # cd /usr/ports/mail/exim
    # make
    # make install
    # make clean

You'll then see it with pkg_info just like other packages.