[afnog] Exim 4.52 Installation problem on FreeBSD version 5.4

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Oct 13 19:36:32 EAT 2005

On Thu, Oct 13, 2005 at 04:20:22PM +0000, Emmanuel Antwi Kwarteng wrote:
> I also tried it from the ports and I get this error.
>
> root at smshq902#
> root at smshq902# pwd
> /usr/ports/mail/exim
> root at smshq902#
> root at smshq902#
> root at smshq902# ls
> Makefile        files           pkg-descr       pkg-message     work
> distinfo        options         pkg-install     pkg-plist
> root at smshq902#
> root at smshq902#
> root at smshq902# make
> ===>  Building for exim-4.50_1
>

> *** Makefile needs rebuilding
> *** Please run "make makefile" at top level

OK, then I think the clock on your system is wrong. Type 'date' to show the
current date and time.

Looking at the source, it seems you will get this error if any of the files
OS/Makefile-Base
OS/Makefile-Default
scripts/Configure
scripts/Configure-Makefile
src/EDITME

is newer than Local/Makefile. That's what makes me think the clock is in the
past. I've been bitten with this problem before :-)

Easiest way to set the time accurately:

# ntpdate -b ntp-1.uk.tiscali.com ntp-2.uk.tiscali.com

(substitute any nearer NTP server(s) that you have access to)

Once you've done that, you should rm -rf the work/ subdirectory if you're
building from ports; if building from source, just doing

# touch Local/Makefile

should be sufficient to update the timestamp on that file.

Please report back if that fixes the problem.