[afnog] Fetchmail/Exim Problem

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue May 17 13:51:54 EAT 2005

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 01:01:06PM +0300, Julius Kidubuka wrote:
> 250 Accepted
> 354 Enter message, ending with "." on a line by itself
> 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
> mike at domain-name... Deferred: 451 Temporary local problem - please try later
> Closing connection to [127.0.0.1]
> 221 domain-name closing connection
>
> I then did a look up on the error, "451 Temporary local problem - please
> try later" but did find anything conclusive.

You won't - this is a purposely bland error message - but you'll find the
full description of the problem in your Exim logs.

Try looking in /var/log/exim/mainlog or /var/spool/exim/log/mainlog
or /var/log/exim_mainlog (depends on how exim was compiled)

> Secondly, when the fetchmail script is executed, it sends the respective
> mails to the respective user e-mail file(s) under /var/mail. I would like
> it to 'post' that mail to /usr/mail/domain-name/users (which is the path
> to the users' supposed mail directory according to my configuration).

fetchmail doesn't write to /var/mail; it opens an SMTP connection to your
exim daemon (as the transcript you provided shows) and sends the message
there.

Hence, you just need to configure Exim so that deliveries to
mike at domain-name go where you want.

What do you see when you type:

# exim -bt mike at domain-name
# exim -d -bt mike at domain-name

That shows you exim's "thought process" in routing a recipient address.

If you've changed your configuration to deliver to a different location,
remember to restart the exim daemon, since fetchmail is talking using SMTP
to that daemon.