[afnog] IPfw + natd

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Dec 1 23:07:57 EAT 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 06:40:40PM +0200, Mark Tinka wrote:
> DNS queries were eratic from my test client box, but not
> from the firewall itself.

In that case, the network between the client box and the firewall should be
under suspicion. Do the ping test, but pinging the client from the firewall.
If that shows a problem, try intermediate switches too.

> Not really. I run CPU intensive apps like 'find' and built
> a port or two while running natd

'find' will more likely be disk-bound than CPU bound, so it shouldn't affect
a CPU-only process much. (Not that the scheduler in FreeBSD is by any means
perfect...)