[afnog] IPfw + natd

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Thu Dec 1 19:40:40 EAT 2005

On Thursday 01 December 2005 17:51, Brian Candler wrote:

> Can you describe "bumping"? Got any numbers? Are you
> testing large transfers (e.g. FTP) or noticing pauses
> in interactive sessions (e.g. ssh)?

DNS queries were eratic from my test client box, but not
from the firewall itself. At one point Mozilla could
resolve, and then not - but I wouldn't make this a reason
to write it off just yet.

> Is the machine
> heavily loaded?

Not really. I run CPU intensive apps like 'find' and built
a port or two while running natd, and even though it felt
like there were some intermitent pauses (noticeable to
just me, and not users) just like when CPU was at idle,
it was generally consistent.

> If you are noticing pauses, I would first guess that
> some packet loss is taking place. Enough packet loss to
> be noticable (1-2%) is generated by an ethernet
> 100baseTX duplex mismatch, for example.

Agree - I looked into this first; got single FE port
adapters on the 7200 edge chassis this firewall is
calling gateway - autoneg on those is not possible
(Cisco?), switches are though.

I could have ruled it down to that, except that IPTables
on Linux seems less interrupted in the same setup (not on
Sparc, but then again load isn't that high either).

> I would test
> using
>
>     # ping -s1472 -c300 x.x.x.x
>
> where x.x.x.x is one hop away (then try two hops, then
> three hops etc).

Carrying these out as I debug Cisco's FE PA's.

> Unless your Sparc machine is very slow and/or heavily
> loaded,...

It isn't, really.

> I would doubt that kernel vs. userland is
> significant here. However, there are two in-kernel
> implementations ('pf' and 'ipf')...

Considered 'ipf', but I want to make sure natd has totally
failed (that and the fact that it took me several hours
to write a custom 'ipfw' script that I wouldn't want to
see go to waste :).

Cheers,

Mark.