[afnog] IPfw + natd

Mark Tinka mtinka at africaonline.co.zw
Fri Dec 2 17:24:07 EAT 2005

wrote:
> > DNS queries were eratic from my test client box, but
> > not from the firewall itself.
>
> In that case, the network between the client box and
> the firewall should be under suspicion.

Client box was directly connected to firewall's second NIC
with x-over UTP.

Nonetheless, I managed to find the problem - at first I
thought it was sysctl IPfw values where my dynamic IPfw
rules were exhausting the system's default limits, but it
turns out natd and advanced stateful IPfw don't
co-operate very well. So downgrading the advanced
stateful to simple stateful IPfw rules solved the problem
- external access is consistent with no intermitent
breaks.

I'm now working on advanced stateful rules that will work
with natd. A good option would be to run natd standalone,
but I'm still looking for a LAN-to-LAN solution. natd
already has a similar solution, but for PPP, though:

/etc/rc.conf

[...]

ppp_nat="YES"

[...]