[afnog] Need Help - grep: /proc/cmdline: no such file or directory

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Tue Aug 16 22:17:37 EAT 2005

On Tue, Aug 16, 2005 at 07:05:36PM +0000, Ayitey Bulley wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> Try reinstalling the system but preserve the data on the partitions you
> created with the initial install, this should repair the corrupted /proc
> directory and leave your data on the other partitions intact.

/proc is not a real filesystem, it's generated by the kernel containing
information about currently active processes, files, devices etc.

So I think M<'s advice is good: first thing is to boot from a recovery CD,
look at /etc/fstab or equivalent on the target system, and see if it's
broken.

> > Theoretically, you could just create the /proc directory
> > manually. I think it's a negative performance impact though
> > and not recommended.

/proc isn't a real directory, so there's no performance issue. Only an empty
/proc filesystem needs to exist in the root filesystem; you then mount the
virtual 'proc' filesystem on top of that.