[afnog] Need Help - grep: /proc/cmdline: no such file or directory

Ayitey Bulley abulley at ghana.com
Wed Aug 17 14:06:24 EAT 2005

Hi,

> /proc is not a real filesystem, it's generated by the kernel containing
> information about currently active processes, files, devices etc.

Ack

> So I think M<'s advice is good: first thing is to boot from a recovery CD,
> look at /etc/fstab or equivalent on the target system, and see if it's
> broken.

Reading Emmanuels mail I assumed he had already been thru the recovery/rescue
stuff see extract of the mail below

>> I tried to use RESCUE MODE from the boot CD, and I can get to a shell, but
>> don`t know how to correct this once I get there.  I checked the /etc/fstab
>> and it looks perfectly normal.  I just don`t get it.  It`s on a UPS
>> but it`s still possible this was all started by a powersurge or
>> something.   I just need some way to
>> get it to work!  I`d appreciate any advice.

I had a similar problem on a test machine running rhel3, and I recovered from
the boot error by re-installing and preserving the data on the partition, I
am sure that was not necessarily the best option, but it worked, and I did
not lose anything.

> /proc isn't a real directory, so there's no performance issue. Only an
> empty /proc filesystem needs to exist in the root filesystem; you then
> mount the virtual 'proc' filesystem on top of that.

How would you go about re-creating the proc filesystem after booting from a
rescue cd/boot cd with "linux rescue", chroot /mnt/sysimage, etc etc.

At the time I had the problem, I could not find anything on the net (google)
that resolved the problem.

--Ayitey

regards