[afnog] Help on setting up PPPoE server on FreeBSD

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Mon Apr 25 13:58:26 EAT 2005

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 01:38:43PM +0300, Aklei G. Kessy wrote:
> The instruction you sent was really useful. am newbie to FreeBSD and i want to
> get the most out of its wonderfully power and featurest. forgive me for not
> googling and digging enough.
> I managed to get the userland pppoe working with my FreeBSD 5.3 as a server
> and windows client running RASPPPoE, currently using ppp.secret file to
> authenticate incoming connection.
> I'm currently digging out on how to get Radiator radius working for
> authentication/accounting information.
>
> As soon  as i get this done I'll come back with the detailed procedure on how
> i get PPPoE+radius working.

Excellent, I'm glad you've made it work!

Making userland ppp authenticate against a RADIUS server doesn't seem to be
in the handbook, but it's documented in 'man ppp'. Just search for the word
'radius' (try hitting slash, entering 'radius', and hit enter. Hit 'n' to
get the next match)

Again, if you need to debug this, then looking at logs at the radius server
end, and looking at the traffic between the pppoe server and the radius
server using tcpdump, will most likely be helpful.

    # tcpdump -i fxp0 -n -s1500 udp port 1812 or udp port 1813