[afnog] Re: Request for input: The Working Group on InternetGovernance

Calvin Browne calvin at orange-tree.alt.za
Wed Nov 17 16:16:18 EAT 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-17 at 14:04 +0100, Robert.Shaw at itu.int wrote:
<SNIP>

> And if one thinks that the policy makers and regulators aren't
> going to be involved in the public interest issues related to this
> convergence, that's a very nice dream but I'd suggest you take a
> look at slide 13 at
> http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/presentations/2004/enum-ftra-uganda-rs.pdf
> and prepare carefully your arguments...

Looks like a lot of things that need serious thought when you have
regulated telco environments.... half of those concerns disappear when
you have free market forces around (imho).

> Hint: read carefully the individual separate statements of the FCC
> Commissioners in their commentary on the recent US VoIP ruling at
> http://www.itu.int/osg/spu/newslog/2004/11/10.html#a746

Just had a quick look at them - they ramble on a lot about rural
America, federal vs state authority (what is a state anyway?), and
something called E911 (what is that anyway-everyone here in SA knows you
dial 10111 if you want to hold on for a long while and your own private
security co if you want something done - ditto for lots of other African
countries). Maybe you can shed some light on why you posted this link
for me?

thanks

--Calvin

PS - hope to see you all on the 1st of December:
http://icann.org/meetings/capetown/

--
 Calvin Browne calvin at orange dash tree dot alt dot za