[afnog] HOW can I stop outgoing spam

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Tue Sep 27 09:53:04 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 12:37:44PM +0300,
 saleh ali <saleh.shihab at live.com> wrote
 a message of 68 lines which said:

> the behavior is my mail server domain is sustech.edu and I Found
> some email send to outside and the sender is out of my domain
> (edwarpor20 at yahoo.com.hk)

That's normal for SMTP and quite common (specially if the outside
domain appears only in the headers, not in the envelope).

> AND i very sure that my mail server is not an open relay

Indeed, I got a "551 Relay denied".

> This Lines from my server log file

Several very important pieces of information are missing: IP address
of the SMTP client (probably a zombie, and probably inside your
network) and date.

The knowledge base of DeskNow seems to say that you have to go in
Administration/Logging and enable 'Debug' and 'Protocol' logging.