[afnog] RT email Piping

Hervey Allen hervey at nsrc.org
Thu Oct 27 14:56:47 UTC 2011

On 10/26/11 5:13 AM, Anibe Onuche wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> Finally got it…!!!

That is excellent!

> All you have to do is edit the /etc/aliases file and add the ff lines.
>

> */support/**/: "|/usr/bin/rt-mailgate --queue general   --action comment
> --url http://localhost/rt/"/*
>

> Where supportis the email you want to send it to (in this case
> support at yourdomaiin.com <mailto:support at yourdomaiin.com>)

Yes. Nice.

> When you send a mail to support at yourdomain.com
> <mailto:support at yourdomain.com>, it  get delivered to request tracker
> software which in turn generates a ticket.

Exactly.

And, the general sequence of setup events is:

* Install RT and the rt-mailgate software

* Create a queue in RT with the same name as the email address you plan
to use (not necessary as seen above, but it can make connecting the dots
later a bit easier).

* Give the queue necessary permissions. You will need to allow
"Everyone" the ability to create tickets (among other permissions)

* You can test if the queue is working by sending a test email to the
email address you have setup to talk with RT via rt-mailgate in the
/etc/aliases file. For instance, if the email address was "support", then:

	$ echo "Problem with my router" | mail -s "Router problem"  \
          support at localhost

This presumes Linux/UNIX OS and you are testing on the same box where RT
is installed.

You can see an example of this in our exercises for RT and rt-mailgate
at the AfNOG Network Monitoring and Management Workshop (NM-E) here:

https://nsrc.org/workshops/2011/afnog-nm/raw-attachment/wiki/Agenda/exercises-rt-lab1.pdf

Anibe - I'm glad it's working for you :-)

Cheers,
	- Hervey

> Hervey, Wilson thanks for your support.
>

> Warm Regards

> Anibe Onuche
>
> Network/Communication Dept.
>
> Phone : 234-1-0700-CALL-IXPN
>
> Email : a.onuche at nixp.net,
>
> Website : www.nixp.net

Hervey Allen      Network Startup Resource Center
hervey at nsrc.org   http://nsrc.org/ : http://facebook.com/nsrc.org
GPG Fingerprint:  AC08 31CB E453 6C65 2AB3 4EDB CEEB 5A74 C6E5 624F