[afnog] MPLS LSP UP but no traffic

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Oct 17 08:49:15 UTC 2011

On Monday, October 17, 2011 03:46:54 PM ibtisam jamal wrote:

> >             We have several links, one as the primary
> >             and others as
> >
> > secondary.The primary link is a fibre link and
> > secondary links are microwave.Something odd has been
> > happening on the primary link.It is physicaly up and
> > lsp is up but it has no traffic and the secondary
> > links do not take over because,rsvp knows that the lsp
> > is up.I am trying to find out why we have this and how
> > we can stop it from occurring again

The configuration you've provided isn't sufficient on its
own. Could you perhaps drop configurations on your
[interfaces], and [protocols] section?

It takes a mountain and all your dogs to get MPLS-TE right
on a router (which is not to mean it's hard, but that a lot
of components need to come together in harmony), so we'll
need more information than you've given for now.

> > also what is the impact of setting ERO options such as
> > strict and loose ?

Well, expanded loose hops are typically used in Inter-Area
TE situations. By Inter-Area, we mean that you're running
IS-IS with multiple levels or OSPF with multiple areas.

In Inter-Area TE scenarios, the ingress routers have no
knowledge of the "strict" hops beyond their area (the TED -
TE Database - is retained only within a particular level or
area by IS-IS or OSPF). This why the paths defined for the
LSP are "loosely" specified at the ingress router.

Otherwise, you would use a strict ERO provided your routers
are all in the same IS-IS level or OSPF area.

PS: note that unlike on Cisco routers, you cannot disable
    CSPF in Junos if you want to support expanded loose
    hops.

Cheers,

Mark.