[afnog] Cisco Firewall,Router and Switch Setup

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Fri Jul 29 15:51:59 UTC 2011

On Friday, July 29, 2011 06:11:37 PM david aliata wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I have a Cisco ASA 5505 firewall,1941 Cisco router and
> Catalyst 2960 switch.Just wondering if it is advisable
> to use all this three equipments together as in
> ISP1/ISP2>>Firewall>Router>Switch>LAN>.If so, are
>
> there any chances i will slow down my network?.If not,
> whats the best way to set this up to get the best setup?

You didn't say whether you're a service provider or just a
regular end-user trying to run a corporate/business network.

If you're a service provider, yes, throwing active firewalls
in the data path might be a recipe for disaster as your
network scales.

If you're just a corporate business, then your thought
process is quite common. Some folks may make the router the
border while in your case the firewall is the border, and
vice versa. The topologies can get very advanced or they can
be basic.

But if you're a corporate network, you're likely on the
right track if you think the ASA will solve most/all of your
security concerns.

Cheers,

Mark.