[afnog] packet loss

teklay gebremichael teklish76 at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 20 07:13:24 UTC 2011

Hello,

I have a Cisco PIX 515e firewall where it is connected to the campus Core switch(Cisco 6500 switch) through Cisco 3524 switch. Being from my pc, i initiated a continuous ping to the inside interface of the PIX, but there were many packets being lost while the response time is less than a msec. Then i tried to ping to the switch i am connected to and even to the core switch, but i don't see any packet loss. Then i repeated this with the ip address of a vlan that the inside interface of the PIX is assigned to (the vlan is in the core switch) and there is no any packet loss. I tried to investigate the interfaces between the PIX and Core switch but i didn't see any errors. But the connection to the Internet is intermittent and becoming very slow. May be the firewall could be compromised. Even i tried to replace the PIX with old ASA 5505, but the problem is there. So, are there any ways to solve this problem?

I appreciate your help in advance!

Regards,
Teklay