[afnog] Packet Forwarding Issue with Linux

Gerald Begumisa gbegumisa at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 08:25:38 UTC 2011

Hi Seun,

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 11:00 AM, Seun Ojedeji <seun.ojedeji at gmail.com>wrote:

> Ok Gerald a fast question to aid thinking/simulation... does server A
> return a ping request to 1.2.3.42 from server B? From your explanation this
> seems to be tending towards a NAT 444 for server B (poor server B :). I am
> curious, Since your ISP has given you a range of routable IP address why
> ain't you puting that directly on the Eth2 of server A?

Server A replies to a ping request to 1.2.3.42 coming from server B. Some
info below:

To answer your second question, we do not put one of the routable IPs on
eth2 of server A because the default gateway provided by the ISP is not on
the same network.

NB: currently if you assign IP within ip range 1.2.3.32/27 of server A to
> server B it should go through, please confirm that. If it does then its
> mostlikely server A does not know how to get to server B

I'm not sure what you mean here.  Do you mean assigning (for example)
1.2.3.34 to eth0 of server B and then trying to ping server A on 1.2.3.42?

Regards,
Gerald